Guide to Pre-treatment Estimates
So your dentist says you need some work done, but you’re worried about the cost and what’s covered. Is there a solution to take the guesswork out of the fees?
Of course there is. Pre-treatment dental estimates, or Pre-determinations, do just that.
These dental estimates are created and submitted by your dentist and allow your benefits provider time to review what’s needed before the work starts. Pre-treatment dental estimates also provide you with a blueprint to properly budget for your procedure.
Reasons to get a pre-treatment dental estimate:
- You’re planning to have extensive dental work such as crowns, wisdom teeth extractions, bridges, dentures or periodontal surgery.
- To see if a procedure is covered under your dental plan.
- To see if you’re going to exceed your annual maximum allowance.
Before you schedule any extensive dental treatment, ask your dentist for a detailed cost estimate and wait for your benefits provider to send out a final dental estimate.
That way you’ll know:
- How much your plan will pay toward treatment.
- Your out-of-pocket financial responsibility.
- The amount remaining toward your deductible (if applicable).
- How close you are to your benefit maximum.
Depending on your specific dental plan, some procedures may require a pre-treatment estimate/pre-determination. If you’re a Delta Dental of Kansas member, log in to your account online or contact us to get more details on your plan.