Maintaining good oral health at home during the COVID-19 pandemic
As communities continue to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic, Delta Dental is here to help Americans maintain good oral health at home. Check out Delta Dental’s recommendations for at-home oral care that you can do in front of your own bathroom mirror!
Good oral health practices
Keep the gleam in your grin with the following dental health basics:
Eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products. Avoid foods high in sugar or starch — they tend to stick to your teeth. Drink plenty of water every day.
- Brush gently at least twice a day, with special attention to the gum line. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss at least once a day. You can also use an interdental cleaner—a special pick or brush you use between your teeth.
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months, or earlier if the bristles are looking spread out and worn.
- Be aware of bad habits like ice chewing or crunching on hard snacks, using your teeth as a tool or to open packages, or grinding and clenching as these things can cause broken or chipped teeth.
- Wear a mouthguard if you are doing a sport or activity that could cause trauma to your face and jaw. Some activities, like mountain-biking, roller boarding or skating, allow you to keep your “social distance” but are safer with a helmet and mouthguard!
Delta Dental advises its customers, providers and others within our communities to follow the CDC’s guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19.