Shrimp tacos with creamy taco slaw
Healthy. Easy to make. And packed with flavor. What more could you ask for? Give juicy shrimp a tasty kick and delicious crunch with this creative recipe.
Shrimp is full of smile-friendly nutrients like calcium, phosphorus, protein and omega-3s to keep your teeth and gums strong and healthy.
For 6-8 shrimp tacos:
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp (peeled, deveined and tails removed)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 to 8 corn tortillas
For slaw and shrimp taco sauce:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of peeled garlic
- ½ small jalapeno with seeds and membranes removed
- ¼ cup tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2 cups shredded cabbage or slaw mix
Make the shrimp:
- Rinse and dry shrimp and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle shrimp with ½ tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with spices. Toss to coat evenly.
- Heat the remaining ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and sauté for about 4 minutes before transferring it to a plate.
Make the slaw and shrimp taco sauce:
- Combine the Greek yogurt, olive oil, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, salt and lime juice in a food processor.
- Place the cabbage in a mixing bowl and toss with about ½ cup of the sauce from the food processor.
Assemble the tacos:
- Fill the tortillas with shrimp and slaw. Top with remaining sauce.
- Add extra toppings if desired like avocado, sour cream and cheese. Enjoy!