Southwestern sweet potatoes
This simple recipe turns sweet potatoes into a quick, tasty meal. They’re spiced just right to give them a savory kick.
Sweet potatoes are full of flavor and nutrients, including many that are great for your smile. The high amounts of vitamins A and C found in sweet potatoes are particularly helpful in maintaining good gum health.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-pound chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed
- ⅓ cup red enchilada sauce
- ¼ cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- Toppings of your choice
- Wet some paper towels and place on a plate large enough to hold sweet potatoes.
- Pierce potatoes with a fork and place on wet paper towels. Microwave on high for 10 minutes, turning after 5 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic for 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, garlic and black pepper together.
- Toss chicken with half the spice mixture in a small bowl.
- Combine chicken and half of spices in a small bowl.
- Add chicken to skillet and cook until done. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add beans, enchilada sauce and remaining spice mixture to skillet. Cook until mixture is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Split potatoes lengthwise and fluff with a fork. Divide the mixture evenly over the potatoes. Top each potato with cheese, red onion and jalapeños.
- Add your favorite toppings such as sour cream or guacamole to your potato.