The American Dental Association (ADA) has published the new procedure codes for 2022. Changes include: 16 new codes, 6 deleted codes, 14 revisions and 10 editorial actions. One deletion included an entire subcategory. The CDT 2022 procedure code changes go into effect January 1, 2022. The Code on Dental Procedures and Nomenclature is the national standard for reporting dental services and serves as the HIPAA standard code set. Any claim submitted electronically or on paper must use procedure codes from the current version of the CDT manual.
Please note, the listing of a procedure code does not mean that the procedure code is covered or reimbursable benefit within a dental benefits plan.
To order the 2022 CDT code book, visit adacatalog.org or contact the ADA at 800.947.4746.
A few notable updates:
- D4320 - Provisional splinting - intracoronal
- D4321 - Provisional splinting - extracoronal
- D8050 - Interceptive orthodontic treatment of the primary dentition (Code D8010 should be used to report limited orthodontic treatment of the primary dentition)
- D8060 - Interceptive orthodontic treatment of the transitional dentition (Code D8020 should be used to report limited orthodontic treatment of the transitional dentition)
The entire subcategory - Interceptive orthodontic treatment – was deleted. It was determined that the procedures listed in that subcategory are clinically the same as those in the “Limited orthodontic treatment” subcategory. It is important to review and familiarize your team with the revisions to the “Limited orthodontic subcategory” for CDT 2022, which are as follows:
Orthodontic treatment with a limited objective, utilizing any therapeutic modality with a limited objective or scale of treatment. Treatment may occur in any stage of dental development or dentition. The objective may be limited by:
- Not involving the entire dentition
- Not attempting to address the full scope of the existing or developing orthodontic problem
- Mitigating an aspect of a greater malocclusion (i.e., crossbite, overjet, arch length, anterior alignment, one phase of multi-phase treatment, treatment prior to the permanent dentition, etc.)
- Decision to defer or forego comprehensive treatment
- D4322 - Splint - intra-coronal; natural teeth or prosthetic crowns
- D4323 - Splint - extra-coronal; natural teeth or prosthetic crowns
- D5227 - Immediate maxillary partial denture - flexible base (including any clasps, rests and teeth)
- D5228 - Immediate mandibular partial denture - flexible base (including any clasps, rests and teeth)
- D5725 - Rebase hybrid prosthesis
- D5765 - Soft liner for complete or partial removable denture - indirect
- D9947 - Custom sleep apnea appliance fabrication and placement